You may remember a few months back that you were hearing incessantly about the Lufthansa Mastercard offering a 50,000 mile bonus? It’s back. The highlights:
- 20,000 miles after first purchase
- 30,000 more miles after spending $5,000 in 3 months.
- $79 annual fee is not waived.
- Among the better uses of those miles are on United domestically (or to South America) or anywhere US Airways flies, as there are no fuel surcharges on those. If you redeem on United to anywhere else they’re going to kill you with fuel surcharges.
- It’s a Barclays card, so if you’ve applied for one of their other cards (hello, Barclays Arrival or US Airways card) in the past 6 months, you may be rejected initially. They look kindly on people actually using the cards they issue so I always put some spend on my US Airways card specifically for this reason.
- Although I haven’t churned this card, the Barclays US Airways card IS certainly churnable. I’d still make sure there was 6 months since a Barclays application….
- Is it a good deal? It’s basically 2 domestic round trip tickets on United or US Airways for $79. Hard to argue with that (unless, of course, you’ve recently gotten a Barclays card…