A few quick ones this morning:
- JetBlue adds Medellin as its 3rd city in Colombia (Bogota & Cartagena) when it launches daily nonstop service from Ft. Lauderdale beginning in June. Spirit already flies the route, though they depart FLL in the morning and JetBlue will leave in the afternoon.
- Besides El Al, which airline has the most flights to Israel? Turkish Airlines with 32 weekly from Istanbul. No idea why you need to know that.
- A Qantas passenger faces up to 10 years in jail for attempting to smoke on a flight, then punching and spitting on crew members. You’ll be shocked to learn he was drunk.
- Allegiant will purchase 9 used A320s (most recently used by Iberia) to complement the 19 A319s it recently purchased. The A320 is basically a larger version of the A319. They’ll squeeze 177 seats into the aircraft (JetBlue, for example, flies the same type with 150 seats in an all-coach configuration).
- Fastjet, the new Tanzania-based lowfare carrier backed by the founder of Easyjet, purchased the assets of defunct South African lowfare carrier 1time for the low, low price of 12 cents. The deal will allow Fastjet to quickly expand into South Africa, though initially flights will only be within South Africa.