I just received an email from Icelandair telling me that the Icelandair deal as we know it will end at 8pm Eastern Time tonight, August 31st. I don’t know much more, but here’s what I do know:
- They are going to pull Alaska Airline redemptions tonight. They will come back at some point, but it will be at different redemption levels.
- They are still working through the taxes issue people have had – if you have emailed them, they will get back to you.
- The points are good for 4 years.
- If you are stuck with points that you purchased, you are basically stuck with points that you purchased. You can certainly wait until Alaska redemptions come back. You can redeem for a Radisson Hotel (34,000 points for a top level Radisson Blu, down to 18,000 points for a Park Inn (22,000 for a “Level B” hotel). See hotels here.
- If you feel you can’t let the points sit in Icelandair (which is what I would do – let them sit there), the best points.com exchange is with US Airways, which will get you 593 Dividend Miles for every 1,000 Icelandair Saga points.
- Redeeming on Icelandair isn’t a bad deal at all (at least not in coach), especially during the summer. The chart is here, but it’s 50,000 points to Iceland from the Eastern US and 60,000 to most of Europe (that works out to about $575 for a flight to Europe – not too bad).
- If you do wish to top up your account so you have enough points for a Europe trip, remember that the 20% mileage purchase bonus goes through September 28th.
- Thanks to the literally hundreds of people who have written me and posted comments here helping others through this deal. And thanks to Icelandair, which has been incredibly helpful as they’ve dealt with more calls than they’ve ever received before.
- And those of you who tend to post on blogs about how bloggers “kill the deal” please save your comments for elsewhere.
I’m on vacation, but I will try to answer whatever additional questions people have today. Unfortunately, this is all I know at this point.