For those of you interested in the BMI Diamond Club situation following their acquisition by British Airways, here’s the latest update:
– You can earn and redeem Diamond Club points on non-Lufthansa Group Star Alliance airlines until May 31st (Lufthansa Group is Lufthansa, Austrian, Brussels, SWISS and LOT).
– Lounge access is also available until May 31st.
– If you prefer, starting today you can earn BA Avios points when you fly BMI.
– Beginning July 3rd, you can transfer BMI miles into Avios at 1:1. (Whew).
– You’ll be status matched to the same Avios level.
In the end, that’s good news if you like to use BMI miles for short-haul, because Avios has those types of cheap awards. It’s bad news if you were using BMI for long-haul because of the fuel surcharge and ridiculous mileage requirement for long-haul Avios flights.