We (ie, all of us blogger types) received a note from our affiliate company that the Chase Business Ink Bold® Charge Card offer will be changing as of tomorrow morning. What does that mean?
1) The current affiliate offer is for 50,000 Ultimate Rewards points after $5,000 in spend.
2) The current offer on Chase’s site is for 25,000 Ultimate Rewards points after signup and another 25,000 points after $10,000 in spend.
3) The affiliate offer will go away tomorrow morning.
4) Someone will find a still-working link for the original 50k/$5k offer and accuse bloggers of screwing our readers.
5) I will think to myself, “Yes, I get up at 6 every morning to write this stupid site so I can screw people over…they finally figured me out. Damn, they’ve discovered my diabolical plan! And I would’ve gotten away with it if it weren’t for those meddling kids!”
6) Someone will then open a thread of Flyertalk accusing bloggers of screwing their readers.
7) 92 pages later, people will still be arguing about it.
8) 3 days later that secret link will stop working and everyone will move on with their lives.
In short, my advice is the same: don’t change your churn schedule for this offer. If it makes sense for you, then great – grab the points. If not, don’t worry about it. The 25k offer is still pretty good, even if you can’t hit the minimum spend. It’s only 25k points. You’ll live. And now that I think about it, the new offer is actually better for some people – if you have low spend, you now have another way to get Ultimate Rewards points without hitting a minimum threshold.
UPDATE: The 50k offer after $5k is now gone. If you’d like to apply for the 25k offer (plus additional 25k after $10,000 in spend), here’s the link for the Chase Business Ink Bold® Charge Card.