I’ve gotten a bit of grief from yesterday’s post where I stuck up for Skyteam on the day that Continental moved over to Star. Let me be clearer: moving to Star is a GREAT move for Continental flyers in just about every way. My point was that it’s not like Skyteam was horrible – I’m sure we all took perfectly nice free trips while Continental was a member. The end.
To finish up this whole line of discussion, I bring you the Top 5 Things I’ll Miss about Skyteam:
1) Prior to the Delta merger, even Silver Elites on Continental were nearly always upgraded when flying Northwest. Northwest flew 757s with 24 first class seats all over the place, and if you had status you were going to be upgraded into one of those seats. Which, at least in the past 2 years, is exactly the opposite experience Silver Elites had when flying Continental.
2) Spending time in Detroit’s airport, which is arguably the best airport in the country. Indoor monorail? Awesome. It’s all the more amazing that it replaced arguably the worst airport in the country.
3) Little ceramic houses with booze in them that KLM gives you in business class.
4) The Northwest DC-9s. Cramped seating? Sure. But quiet and you were flying a giant hunk of history.
5) Never, ever, ever, ever, ever seeing a business class seat available to Europe on Delta. Oh wait, I won’t miss that.